NEED2: Youthspace.ca Assistant
Title: Youthspace.ca Assistant
Hours per week: 30
Duration: 8 weeks (start date between June 29th and July 6th)
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
Youthspace.ca Shifting Responsibilities:
- Offer positive, encouraging, skills-building feedback and debriefing to volunteers on Youthspace.ca shifts,
- Assist with volunteer support, management and supervision as per the program policies and procedures; and refer difficult chat situations to on-call or the Youthspace.ca Coordinator/Operations Manager;
- Support users in chat using empathetic, active listening, risk assessment and intervention as appropriate;
- Review chat reports as per the Policy and Procedures manual, training and other assistive documentation (i.e., communication binder, alert notices, etc.);
- Report any concerns, questions, inappropriate uses of the service, volunteer concerns, etc. to the Youthspace.ca Coordinator, Operations Manager or delegate.
Youthspace.ca Follow-up Activities:
- Support visitors through text-based follow-up activities according to project procedures and policies;
- Assist in ongoing evaluation and development of project.
Other Primary Responsibilities:
- Assist with program evaluation including some data entry and surveying of volunteers;
- Maintain an up-to-date resource list;
- Represent Youthspace.ca at community events, and help with promotion of Youthspace.ca service;
- Assist in maintenance of NEED2 and Youthspace.ca files, records, and physical space;
- Assist Youthspace.ca Coordinator in volunteer recognition and management;
- Perform research projects relating to Youthspace.ca activities;
- Complete other tasks to be determined by the Operations Manager or their designate;
- Check in with the Operations Manager or delegate for supervision, support and debriefing as needed and at least once a week;
Education, Training and Experience:
- Minimum two years post-secondary education in related human/social service field;
- Or minimum two years recent work/volunteer experience in related human/social service field; Or a combination of academic/work/volunteer experience in related human/social service field;
- Completion of Youthspace.ca Training and volunteer commitment preferred.
- Has taken Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) within the last 3-5 years.
Knowledge, Attitude and Skills:
- Accepts all agency policies and procedures;
- Believes in the volunteer model of service delivery;
- Strong commitment to client-centered philosophy;
- High level of comfort and familiarity with computer technology, including Word, Power Point, etc. and internet-based communication software iCarol and social media. Experience with specific tools WordPress, Google Ads, Gmail, Google Calendar, Hootsuite, and/or Survey Monkey an asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional organizational skills and effective interpersonal skills;
- Comfortable interacting with community members in a variety of settings and advocating for dialogue around mental health and suicide;
- Able to work both effectively as a team member and to maintain effective and co-operative working relationships with other staff, volunteers and community partners;
- Able to work independently;
- Relatively comfortable receiving and providing feedback;
- Must be able to accommodate flexibility in the work schedule.
Must be able and willing to work evenings and weekends.
A criminal record check is required.
Apply with resume by email or in person to:
NEED2 Suicide Prevention, Education & Support
Phone: 250-386-6328 x 201
Application Deadline: June 18th at 5pm
Note: Only those applicants who are short-listed will be interviewed, but all applicants will be contacted.